Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I met with Elle Page and Isabel McDevitt recently about printing another run of 'Until They Have Faces,' an amazing project by Elle and her photographer husband, David Page. This is truly a beautiful book, well-done and informative about what it's really like to be homeless. My story is included.
  
Here's a beautiful story to go with the book:

"One day I got on the Jump with a woman who brought TWO dogs on board. I joked with the driver that I should have brought my cat along, but I watched a miracle occur. The lady was sitting behind me. The dogs were well-behaved and quiet. One of them, what I would call a 'cow dog' with blue eyes (I think they are called Blue Heeler), very slowly approached the man sitting across the aisle from me. He was obviously not well and had the appearance of one of our marginalized homeless. The dog gently, respectfully placed his muzzle on the man's hand. They began eye gazing and he petted the dog. All at once, he burst into tears, sobbing and holding the dog close to his chest. The owner of the animal said something about the dog being a healer and an unconditional lover. Everyone on the bus seemed embarrassed by the outburst, and at the next stop, the man got off the bus. We can only imagine how long it had been since he felt unconditional love from anything or anyone: perhaps never. We don't know what he struggles with, what traumas he holds or how hard he might be trying, in his own way, to improve his situation."

In a post from the Daily Camera:
http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_20075066 

No comments:

Post a Comment